Many people suffer from ongoing or recurring symptoms of dry eye. You might notice your eyes are gritty, irritated, or become red. Sometimes watery eyes can even indicate that your eyes are dry! The good news is that these days there is plenty more than can be done to treat the problem of dry, irritable eyes.
- Visit an optometrist that has a special interest in treating dry eye. Not all optometrists treat dry eye effectively. In the past you may have just been send away with a bottle of drops. Although drops remain important, we now understand that dry eye treatment is more complex and must be tailored to the individual. At Eye C Optometry we will assess the extend and causes of your dry eye symptoms and construct a detailed treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- Keep blinking! Increasing use of screens has been linked to increasing levels of dry eye. One reason for this is because when we concentrate on screens our blink rate tends to drop. When we don’t blink our eyes dry out! When you are on a screen make a conscious effort to ensure you continue to blink at a normal rate (around 12 blinks per minute).
- Use your dry eye drops as directed. Dry eye drops do not cure dry eye. They both relieve acute symptoms and help break the inflammatory cycle which leads to worsening dry eye. If you do not use them as much as your eyes need them or stop using them then your symptoms are likely to return or worsen over time.
- Consider a dietary supplement if your dietary intake of Omega-3 fatty acids is insufficient. Talk to your optometrist or GP prior to taking supplements.
- Keep hydrated. Be sure to drink water throughout the day. 6-8 glasses is recommended.
Come and see us for your dry eye assessment and find out if you can benefit from other treatment options available at our practice. To make an appointment please phone us on 08 621 404 29